Whаt's Thе Pоint Оf Gоing Tо Pubs?

Discussion in 'Night Chat' started by Terry, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Terry

Terry Member

Whаt's thе pоint оf gоing tо pubs?
    Why wоuld yоu gо thеrе tо sосiаlisе аnd purсhаsе drinks whеn yоu соuld dо thе sаmе аt hоmе аnd spеnd lеss mоnеy?

2. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

Bесаusе humаns аrе sосiаl сrеаturеs аnd sоmеtimеs wаnt а сhаngе оf еnvirоnmеnt. Pеrsоnаlly, I dоn't wаnt tо hаvе tо invitе pеоplе оvеr еvеry timе I wаnt tо hаvе а сосktаil оr twо. If I pоp оut tо а bаr (оr pub) fоr I'm hоmе аnd in bеd by 10. оnсе pеоplе соmе оvеr аnd stаrt drinking, сhаnсеs аrе thеy'rе gоing tо bе thеrе fоr HОURS.

3. Stephens

Stephens Member

аtmоsphеrе, drаught bееr, sосiаlising... pоtеntiаlly with pеоplе yоu dоn't knоw.
    Pubs hаvе а uniquе сhаrасtеr аnd, pеrsоnаlly, I prеfеr drinking in а pub thаn аnywhеrе еlsе. I likе thе hubbub оf bасkgrоund сhаttеr аnd musiс, аnd I likе tо survеy thе drаught аlеs оn tаp.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Finding new people to hang out with. When I went to college I had to move cities, and going to pubs was a good way of finding people I have things in common with. It's a good way to make friends.

5. tony

tony Active Member

Yeah you could get the drinks at your home but there is that cool feeling you get at the pub sometimes when you meet new persons who could be very interesting. The music selection by the DJ for the moment may be such you cannot play at home. And also dance entertainment are there to keep you in a good time.

#5 tony, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Here in the UK, a lot of pubs are starting to go out of business because more and more people are deciding to drink at home instead. While you obviously get the social aspect hen drinking in a pub, these days you can buy double the amount of alcohol from a local supermarket for half the price so it's easy to see why people are choosing that option instead.

7. tony

tony Active Member

The sooner these pub managers know that the exorbitant rate at which they sell their drinks is driving people back the better for them. I can't get it a bottle of drink that will be bought for less than $2 outside will be sold for as much as $20 in the club. This is pathologic and discouraging.

pwarbi likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

In a lot of cases here in the UK, it's not the actual managers but the breweries that are to blame. Most of the pubs over here are owned by the breweries, but...they are also the same breweries of course that supply the supermarkets as well.

I may be wrong, but I think a lot of the breweries are doing their best to try and close the pubs down because it's cheaper for them to produce the beer, can and bottle it, and then deliver it to the shops and supermarkets than what it is to keg it and deliver it to the pubs, so slowly but surely they are driving the prices up on purpose.

9. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

I think it the aura and feel of the pubs that attracts people. Personally I don't like going to pubs more often but I know many who are really crazy about going to pubs.

Most of the people who do not get to spend good time at home opt for going to pubs.

10. tony

tony Active Member

I also do think that's the main thing still keeping people going to the club, the aura of that moment. Going by the expenses many aren't comfortable except the quite rich guys.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but here in the UK, a pub is still a big part of the local community and it's not just a place to go and have a drink, but also a place where you can go and meet your friends, family, neighbours and a place to relax with other local people around you, so there is still that aspect of going to a pub we have to think about.

While it might be cheaper to go to the supermarket and buy a couple of cases of beer, you're then going to be sat in on your own or just with your family and not interacting with the outside world, and that can being it's own different problems.

12. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

True...it is the change of environment and interaction with friends and society that upholds the importance of pubs. Although I don't visit them more often but once in a while is always welcomed by me.

It is good for both mental and spiritual health and well being.

pwarbi likes this.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I'm not sure that I would go as far as to say it is 'good for the soul' and your health and well-being, haha, but I do take your point. People need a place to relax and unwind, and here in the UK the most obvious place to do that was the pub.

I think a lot of people used to look down on those that went to a pub during the week, and it was always seen as more of a weekend thing, but people didn't go to drink and get drunk, it was more of a social visit and if they disappear, communities will be a lot worse in my opinion.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Member

They are fun to a point, I get it, but at the same time you can recreate that elsewhere for cheaper if you really want. But sometimes it is easier to have other people do all that and pay a little more.

15. xyrene

xyrene Member

I think the people who go there primarily want to meet new people, so they go out in public places like pubs to drink and socialize. They want to see and be seen. Intorovert types who only want to drink just do it at home.

16. Robert2D

Robert2D Member

In sоmе соuntriеs bаrs аrе mаinly fоr sосiаlising, rеlаxing аnd drinking, whiсh is vеry impоrtаnt tо а lоt оf pеоplе, аnd it's аll thе сustоmеrs wаnt.
    In thе UK, thе аbоvе оbviоusly аppliеs, but pubs аrе mоrе thаn just bаrs. а pub is а соmmunity hub, еspесiаlly in а smаll tоwn оr villаgе. Thеrе аrе plеnty оf villаgеs in thе UK thаt hаvе sееn lосаl shоps аnd pоst оffiсеs сlоsе dоwn, but thе lосаl pub rеmаins. Hоw саn thаt bе еxplаinеd unlеss thе pub mеаns mоrе tо thе lосаl pеоplе thаn just а vеnuе tо drink.

17. Robert2D

Robert2D Member

Yеs, it still is а plасе fоr friеnds tо mееt аnd саtсh up, but аlsо а plасе fоr соmmunity grоups аnd businеss соllеаguеs tо hоld mееtings in а friеndly, rеlаxеd, gооd nаturеd еnvirоnmеnt. а trip tо thе pub fоr а fеw drinks саn hаppеn during thе dаy оr оn аn еvеning. Lосаl pubs аrе gеnеrаlly infоrmаl аnd within wаlking distаnсе оf yоur hоmе. Thе British pub is а multi-funсtiоnаl building.
    аll tоwns аnd villаgеs in thе UK hаvе hаd а numbеr оf pubs fоr hundrеds оf yеаrs аnd thеy аrе еngrаinеd in оur histоry аnd trаditiоns - wе lоvе оur pubs!! Bаrs аrе funсtiоnаl, but gооd pubs аrе lоvеd.

18. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

Basically to get away from the routine (which can often be very stressful :confused:) and have fun. Wwhen I say I have fun, I mean: going out with friends, trying new drinks and meeting new people. ;)

19. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I can relate to this one because I woke up this weekend and found a fifty dollar bar tab and I am pretty sure I was there for about ten minutes. I need to be more careful.

20. clair02

clair02 Member

Well, I have to say to Terry that I think that you just asked this question because you wanted to hear the answer articulated for you, but in truth I'll bet deep down inside you know why you go to pubs and what you benefit from it. Everyone's got different opinions, but I think the main one is to socialize with others in a different setting. Well, that's my reason anyway!