When Did You First Start Drinking?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SereneAngel88, Dec 20, 2015.

1. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Member

For me, I was graduating from middle school and to celebrate, my dad got me a bottle of Jack Daniels and said that since I would drink anyway, I might as well learn what good alcohol tastes like so I can tell it apart from the crappy ones and save my money. How about you guys?

KATRINA LAY likes this.
  2. kgord

kgord Active Member

Oh jeesh, when I was a little kid I got into my parents liquor cabinet. it was a miserable experience as I got drunk on cheap pineapple wine. At least I didn't throw up!

KATRINA LAY likes this.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I think it was around 6th grade, that's the time when I smoked my first cigarette. While I gave up smoking not too long after that, I love drinking a good whisky or wine from time to time nowadays.

KATRINA LAY likes this.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

When I was a child, it wasn't socially reproachable give children some alcohol to taste, so my very, very first drink was probably at age 3-4 having someone giving me a sip of beer, which tasted horrible from my sense.

I was later giving a small glass of eggnog in Christmas when I was around 12 so I could toast with the family.

However from my own conviction, I first started drinking at age 17, precisely toasting with my classmates at a school event. It was sprinkling white wine though.

KATRINA LAY likes this.
  5. crimsonghost747

I started drinking around the time I was 16 or 17. Had many phases from borderline alcoholic to going for months without a single drink but needless to say (this is a whiskey forum afterall) that I do enjoy drinking.

KATRINA LAY likes this.
  6. KATRINA LAY

KATRINA LAY New Member

The early I can remember was around 5 or 6 when I seen my dad drink what he called a beer, I don't recall the name. I ask could I have some and he said nall baby girl you don't want this. I said please so he gave in and pour a little bit in the bottle cap. The taste was awful, my dad said, "I see by the look on your face you want be a big drinker."

My second drink was with my older sister I guess I was around 12 because I remember her saying don't tell mom. She let me try some Jack Daniel. This drink went down smooth and I really like it, the drink is still my favorite.

7. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Member

Pineapple wine? I've never heard of such a thing, but now I have this urge to try it out...for Science, of course!;) Mind telling me what the brand is, if you still remember what it was?

8. Sue

Sue Active Member

I remembering sitting around with my dad and his friends and sipping on beer when I was maybe 4. My baby cup was a little tin beer mug..lol I was probably 11 when I got drunk for the first time. My parents were drinking at home with their friends and they left to go to a party at my aunt's house. We had friends over so we took all the liquor that was left and mixed it together and drank it. We thought that is what they meant when they talked about mixing drinks. lol We didn't get sick but we did get drunk.

9. Jesus Viloria

Jesus Viloria New Member

I was like 15 and me and my girlfriend stole a bottle of wine from her parents. We were like half way through when she started throwing up and when I saw her it grossed me out and ended up throwing up too. It was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made:D

Sue likes this.
  10. Sue

Sue Active Member

lol seemed like a good idea at the time. I think most of us have had a time or two like that.

11. mandak

mandak New Member

My Dad used to give me sips of his beers as a kid. I thought it was so gross! But I guess the peer pressure got to me and I started drinking regularly around the age of 15. I had a few miserable experiences similar to the ones you guys have posted but didn't learn my lesson. It continued through high school and college and into my early 20's. I finally "grew up" and started drinking for the flavor and not the effect a few years back. Moderation has been much better for me. Not to mention I can't handle the hangovers anymore.

Sue likes this.
  12. Sue

Sue Active Member

Drinking is much better when you do it in moderation and appreciate the taste. Even though they were a lot of fun I really don't miss those days of overindulging!

13. thash1979

thash1979 New Member

I was kind of a late bloomer when I first drank my first drink. I do not want to say I lived a sheltered life by my parents, but they were very strict with me and my sisters. Neither of my parents drank themselves so the opportunity to taste alcohol was never there. My first whole drink was when I was 19 and it was an amaretto sour! Oh how this was the perfect drink ever!

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Haha, my parents sheltered me as well but I don't resent them at all, they wanted the best for their kid so not exposing them to alcohol/cigarettes was probably a good idea, yet people learn from their mistakes better than anything.

15. Sue

Sue Active Member

I think it is great that you never had your first drink until you were 19. There is not a lot of people who can say that. My parents didn't mind if we drank as long as we were at home and didn't let it get out of hand. I use to enjoy having a beer with my Dad at the camp or when we were on vacation. Those are some of my best memories.

16. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I grew up in an Italian-Spanish family, so the wine flowed pretty freely. I was allowed to drink small amounts from a pretty early age. I believe the first time I ever got buzzed was when I graduated from Middle School. My family was celebrating that and, well, I enjoyed. Over the decades of my life, I've been at times totally dry, a heavy drinker, and many times some place in between. That is where I am now and I think moderation is key.

17. Sue

Sue Active Member

I agree as with most things in life moderation is the key. It is much more enjoyable that way.

18. richj8am30

richj8am30 New Member

I started drinking when I was 21 actually. It wasn't planned but it just happened. I had just moved to Jacksonville FL after being shot in the leg in my hometown. My family wouldn't let me stay and get in anymore trouble so they sent me to live with my retired navy seal cousin. They pulled out some tequila and started doing shots, I declined and his girlfriend started calling me soft and I went right to work. That was a good day.

Sue likes this.
  19. Sue

Sue Active Member

Sounds like it all worked out for you! Glad you enjoyed!

20. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I think it was on the prom night when I was 15. I drank some wine after it because on the party they only gave us sodas and some fruit juices. Anyway, we got some money and bought some booze, red wine to be precise. Nothing fancy but enough to roam around the city stopping the traffic in process.