Whiskey Cheapest In New Mexico, Costliest In Alaska

Discussion in 'Whisky Critic Articles' started by Alex Bean, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Alex Bean

Alex Bean Administrator

View the Post on the Blog

2. Sue

Sue Active Member

That really is quite a huge difference of pricing between states. I realize Alaska is probably due to all the shipping costs but still it is over double the price.

3. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Member

It almost makes me feel bad for Alaska to have to pay so much for whiskey...then again, they have delicious salmon that is certainly cheaper than what I have to pay for, so I think it evens out in my books.

Sue likes this.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yeah, Alaska has really high prices. Not only for whisky but for a lot of items due to the shipping fees, poor people. :(

Sue likes this.
  5. Sue

Sue Active Member

I have a friend who lives in Alaska and I have heard that from her soon. Even though she loves the remoteness of it, she doesn't like the costs that goes along with it. She comes from Florida so going from Florida to Alaska is a huge adjustment. Just the weather alone would take some getting use to.

6. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I feel pretty bad for the people that enjoy whiskey in Alaska. That's a hefty price to pay versus the much lower price. I can't see myself paying that much for Jack Daniels. I would rather spend a chunk of change on something better.

7. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

Well, time to go to New Mexico then! I am in California and it shouldn't take me too long to drive there and back. I never would have thought that it would have been the cheapest state. Cool!

8. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

Well, time to go to New Mexico then! I am in California and it shouldn't take me too long to drive there and back. I never would have thought that it would have been the cheapest state. Cool!

9. crimsonghost747

So how does this work in the USA? Is the price difference simply due to shipping costs, supply & demand etc or can the different states have a different tax on alcohol?

10. Shenwil

Shenwil New Member

Yea it's quite unfortunate that they have the most expensive but they are after all a great way to the north and it is quite costly to ship stuff there.

11. kgord

kgord Active Member

Yes, they also sell it in convience stores so it is easy to obtain. I was kind of surprised that it was, but some states have lax laws when it comes to selling liquor over the counter. In VA where I live you can only get liquor in a state store or ABC store they call it here.

12. crimsonghost747

That is also a big part of why it's cheaper. If everyone can sell it then there is competition, if it's a state run monopoly then they can charge whatever they want.

13. kgord

kgord Active Member

Many of the states vary in their rules containing where and how alcohol can be sold. In Pennsylania, my birth state you can not buy alcohol in supermarkets at all, although it is legal in nearby states.