Whisky Or Beer?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Alex Bean, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Alex Bean

Alex Bean Administrator

which is king in the midwest?

probably beer

2. Sue

Sue Active Member

I am guessing beer also. Just going by the friends I have in that area and they all seem to be beer drinkers. :)

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Definitely beer from what I've seen. Even the parts around it are predominant in beer, haven't heard of whisky drinkers too much.

Sue likes this.
  4. kgord

kgord Active Member

Yeah, I would go with the beer too., especially in Milwaukee. You know they are drinking a lot of beer up there. Maybe they would get warmer though if they were drinking whisky,,,just a thought lol.

Sue likes this.
  5. Sue

Sue Active Member

lol that is a good way of thinking kgord! Cause things sure do get hotter when whisky is involved!

kgord likes this.
  6. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I'm going to go with beer on this one. As much as I love Whisky, I'm a big fan of beer as well. Craft beers are my absolute favorite but I have to have them in moderation.

7. kgord

kgord Active Member

There is a craft beer here that I think I mentioned on another thread, it is a Gingerbread Stout only available on the holidays. It is only available in certain places. It is one of the beers I am desperate to try.

8. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I just tried this amazing rootbeer that is pretty strong. It does not go down smoothly, but it has a great taste. The rootbeer taste just covers up the alcohol taste. Has anyone else tried it?

9. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I just tried this amazing rootbeer that is pretty strong. It does not go down smoothly, but it has a great taste. The rootbeer taste just covers up the alcohol taste. Has anyone else tried it?

10. Lynk

Lynk New Member

I used to live in the Midwest and there are definitely a ton of beer drinkers there, especially in the small towns. I ordered a whisky sour in a small town bar one time and the bartender hunted all over to find both the sour mix and the whisky! I was amazed and then looked around and saw that everyone else there was drinking bottled beer!

11. lexinonomous

Is the rootbeer you tasted called "Not your father's rootbeer?" I have been hearing about this beer everywhere. Apparently it tastes nothing like alcohol and can really be dangerous if you don't know that it's an alcoholic beverage. I'd be willing to try it.

12. Lynk

Lynk New Member

But there are so many drinks that could be described this way. I don't know if it's fair to classify them as more dangerous than other cocktails? People usually know what they are getting into, don't you think?

13. kgord

kgord Active Member

Well definitely I would think since beer is brewed in Milwaukee people there are beer drinkers. I think beer is big since their ancestors from Germany were major beer drinkers. However, I am not sure about the rest of the Midwest. I would think beer would be the most popular beverage.

14. Molly Brougham

I think beer is the king. I have only live in the Midwest for a few years, and boy is this population proud of their breweries! They should be proud, I don't think I've met a brewery yet that I haven't liked!

kgord likes this.
  15. thash1979

thash1979 New Member

Definitely a beer. It is cheap and seems to be the go to drink with any kind of party or food that you are having. I live in the Midwest and we have tons of private brewers around my home town that make their own flavors and they are awesome!

16. artyarson

artyarson Member

Depends on the mood and, maybe, a company, too. Beer is usually not that strong compared to whiskey.

17. kgord

kgord Active Member

Well, in terms of parties, I think beer is king pretty much everywhere. It is cheaper, not as an intoxicating, and just a thing pretty much made for casual get togethers. It would be really fun to have a deck bar though for such things.

18. lexinonomous

I didn't mean that the drink was literally dangerous, ha ha. A lot of people I know do not look at the alcohol percentage on their beverages. Honestly, it's not very common when you don't have an interest in craft beer and cocktails. I could see someone picking up a beverage and saying "Wow, this really doesn't have that much alcohol in it. I can risk having a few more." That's what I meant by dangerous. I've been in that boat before. It's not a fun boat at all, heh.

19. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

Well, I used to bartend in the Rust Belt of Ohio. It was a very working class bar and I used to work mornings. We would open mornings early to get the crowd of third-shifters coming out of the mill. It was technically their "happy hour" so to speak. They were always tried and true and drank the same things. A common phrase was, "Set me up, darling." A set-up is whatever beer and a shot of whatever they normally took shots of. For most of them, it was Jack or Jim and draft Miller or draft Budweiser.

20. kgord

kgord Active Member

I think they are both popular. My guess in Wisconsin, they drink more beer than anything else. However, that is just the big German population and the beer companies that are located in the area. It is just the drink of choice I think.