Why Is Quitting Smoking So Hard?

Discussion in 'Cigar Forum' started by DR KOKIL AGARWAL, Feb 14, 2017.

1. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

Smoking is a big addiction and I cannot figure out what pleasure does it give to the smokers. Any how I have seen that people face a tough time while trying to quit this habit.
    Though these days there are multiple methods that can be adopted to quit smoking but all seem to fail.
    Is it only the question of strong will power and nothing else? images (5).jpg

2. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Member

:(I do believe in order to quit smoking you do have to have a certain amount of willpower, or at least the desire to quit. I tried to quit smoking several times already and failed miserably. I bought the Nicotine Patches, Nicotine Gum, and I even tried the Nicotrol Inhaler. Needless to say I'm still smoking. Hopefully soon I can actually quit altogether.:(

3. tony

tony Active Member

The problem is ADDICTION. Many smokers that have indulged in the activity for long get addicted to it such that quitting becomes very difficult. What I normally tell the smokers I know battling to quit the act with no success is to start by tapping down or reducing gradually the number of sticks they take a day.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

It's an addiction, but I think people tend to exaggerate how bad cigarettes are. Yes, nicotine is addictive but so is caffeine, which I managed to quit cold turkey and I'm not a person with that much will power. You just have to start the process, people don't even attempt to try quitting nowadays.

5. tony

tony Active Member

It all starts from the mind if the individual is really bent on stopping the act it will be possible. In my view fact remains those still struggling to quit smoking haven't really make up their minds yet

6. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Someone who has never smoked, just won't get it. It's much more difficult to quit (especially when one has been smoking for a very long time) than you might think.

Not only is it physically addictive, but it's also psychological/emotional because you associate it with many things. It becomes a habit as much as an addiction.

Most smokers smoke at certain times of day. When they get up, after they eat, before they go to bed, etc. That kind of thing makes you miss it even more, even if you've been doing well fighting the actual cravings.

I quit cigarettes via vaping. I've been steadily cutting down the amount of nicotine.

I don't think it's as bad with cigars, since most people don't smoke them as frequently or as habitually as they smoke cigarettes.

7. IbrahimNeko

IbrahimNeko New Member

I believe that cigarette smoking is such a social habit, that for you to quit you should actually stop hanging around smokers and stop visiting smoking areas. It worked for me, and I've been a smoker for over 14 years. Keeping yourself busy also helps, as I learned that I used to smoke more during my idle times.
    Good luck to all who are still struggling with the addiction.

8. derf

derf New Member

Mainly because it takes a lot of will power as well as the chemicals and nicotine that are in cigarettes and cigars that get you brain hooked on it. The chemicals release large dopamine signals to the brain making you want to crave more of it. While because of this it makes it a lot harder for your brain to stop being addicted and for you to quit smoking cigarettes or cigars and stuff.

9. Zero

Zero Member

I agree with you on this, it's more mental than physical, of course the body becomes addicted to Nicotine but the person has a strong will they can fight to stop.

10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

I think addiction is generally a bad thing to get rid of, but in the case of cigarettes and alcohol it's more complicated because it causes a chemical addiction (and this is extremely dangerous :(). Unfortunately, not everyone is able to do this.

11. rz3300

rz3300 Member

It is probably the most habit forming of habit forming activities, and when you do it for years you can imagine trying to break that. Good news is that there is a lot of help out there.

12. Zero

Zero Member

I do agree with you on the fact that it's more related to habit rather than physical need but it depends solely on the person's will to quit.

13. xyrene

xyrene Member

Yes, only your will can make you quit smoking, because if you have discipline and your resolve is strong then you will be able to do it. My bro is now 40 and he has been smoking since high school. He tried using e-cgigs last 2011, but it didn't last long and he went back to smoking cigarettes up until now.

14. tony

tony Active Member

I have seen people take a break from smoking for days or hours after which they later came back to the act. What they needed to have done to stop the smoking act permanently was to persist more on staying without cigarette. They stopped for health reasons or for other purposes.

15. Zero

Zero Member

Well even though it's quite difficult and can be challenging to some people, the community should provide more support and mental help in this regard.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

I totally agree with this. The government has an obligation to intervene with public policies on these issues and offer solutions to them. But it's a shame that in practice things are not like that.

17. kgord

kgord Active Member

Cigarette companies put additional chemicals into tobacco to make it addictive. Tobacco in itself is addictive so it is something that people come to depend on. I think it helps to phase it out gradually.

18. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeod Member

Willpower is the most important thing when it comes to quitting smoking. Or quitting anything at all. Also, motivation is a big game too. Smokers probably need a good reason to think about quitting. Most people can't find any of it, and so they smoke even though they know it is bad.But they just love it and don't think it would make a difference if they quit smoking.

19. dionnextherese

Once you start smoking, it's really hard to stop. Smoking is an addiction that can't be stop easily. You need to have the desire to quit smoking, I have tried it and I failed many times.

20. walter12

walter12 Member

It's definitely quite diffiult but you can do it