Bloody Mary is probably one of the most well-known and loved cocktails in the world – I certainly haven’t come across anyone who hasn’t heard of it, and most people who have tried it seem to take an instant liking to it. There is, however, a way to make it considerably better. Any guesses? Yeah, you got it, replace that most awful of spirits (Vodka, bleh!) with one most wonderful: Whisky! The result is known as a Bloody Scotsman, and it is very tasty!
If you enjoy making one for yourself, it’s quite literally as simple as replacing the vodka in your favorite Bloody Mary recipe with an equal measure of Whisky. If you don’t have a favorite recipe, here is mine:
- 1.5oz Whisky (don’t waste the good stuff!)
- Freshly squeezed juice of half a lemon (don’t be lazy, don’t buy concentrate)
- 5-6 dashes of Worcester sauce
- 2-3 dashes of Tabasco
- Top up with tomato juice, maybe 5oz or so
- Season with salt and pepper
Making it is as easy as:
- Placing a couple of ice cubes in a tall glass;
- Adding the whisky
- Chuck in the remaining ingredients, and top up with tomato juice. Leave the celery out. (yeah, it’s a stock picture)
Obviously you can adjust the measurements to your own liking, to make it more or less spicy and what not.