Best Beer With Calamari?

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by Daddy-O, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I have to say, I love calamari. And for that matter squid done up other ways. Anyway, for a basic portion of fried calamari with a side, what beers do you find go best with said? Any that don't work?

Thanks for sharing.

2. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I think any light beer will work with calamari, it really depends on how it's made but if it's grilled anything light will work well with it. I personally prefer having sparkling white wine with calamari.

#2 SirJoe, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I tried drinking dark beer with calamari and I feel like that takes away from the taste, it's better with something light. SirJoe is right, anything grilled goes well with something light.

SirJoe likes this.
  4. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I like a light beer like King Fischer or anything that tastes like Corona. It just tastes so good with a light, crisp beer. It reminds me of the summer.

5. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Yah, I've generally stuck with pale lagers whilst eating calamari or related dishes. Something about the fishy, salty taste goes well with a nice, light beer. No idea why, to be honest.

6. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

Honestly, there is a place here that has great calamari and every time I go there to eat it, I drink Landshark. I think it tastes fairly similar to Corona, only better. You should try that. I am a seafood lover to the max and that is a great beer for most seafood pairings.

Sue likes this.
  7. kgord

kgord Active Member

I don't know about this one. I really don't care for Calmari. I just find the taste too strong. I tried it one time at a high end Italian restaurant that really did know how to prepare it, so I can't fault the restaurant. I guess, as the others have mentioned, a light beer that would be a compliment to the food and not take away from it, would be best.

8. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

I light beer is definitively my option for it. Dark doesn't really go along with it since the taste is too strong for the calamaris.

9. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Squid like most fish dishes have a very delicate flavor so if you try to have them with something like a stout it can be over powering and it ends up being the only thing you taste.
    Not that sometimes that is a bad thing.

thisnthat likes this.
  10. Destiny

Destiny Member

Hell, if it's fried any beer works! Not sure about what type to drink when it's prepared other ways though... I'd go with something light or white wine.

11. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

Calamari is one of my favorite dishes. I love deep fried calamari with a side of sauce. My fiance's work has a calamari dish with house sauce, which changes every day or so. It's phenomenal!

When it comes to what kind of beer I pair with calamari- honestly, I never thought about it. I usually drink anything with calamari. I really enjoy a nice IPA. It doesn't hurt to try pairing an IPA with just about anything. Personally, I think that the average answer would be a light beer. Lighter beers just "sound" better paired with something like calamari.

12. Sue

Sue Active Member

I am with you on this one! Any type of beer works with fried foods. I usually just drink whatever I have on hand at the time.

13. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

A light beer really goes well with the delicate taste of the calamari.

14. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I would watch overpowering the fish with the beer to much and pair it with a tropical island type of lighter beer at that-like say I would go with maybe a corona light beer with a slice of lime in it, because this would really give your meal a overall island kind of feel and look about it as well I think ?
    CL12ozBottle.jpg

15. Zero

Zero Member

Well it's best to have a light one so you can enjoy the taste of Calamari with a little crisp.

16. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I enjoy fried calamari, but I never really thought about pairing it with beer. I'd probably have gone with wine first, but why not a good beer?

Right now, I'm kind of into crisp, refreshing Kolsch. I like the one made by Boulevard, which I have been enjoying during the hot summer temps. I think it would work well with this dish, and as noted, not overpower it.

17. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I have yet to mix Calamari and Beer, i don't have much knowledge but i'll try some of the beers listed.

18. xyrene

xyrene Member

I agree, regular beer will totally eclipse the salty and fishy taste of fish, so the light variation would be best.

19. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well that giant picutre of Corona light makes me think that might be good. I was going to say something a little lighter, so that would work.

20. Meeseeks

Meeseeks New Member

Founders Breakfast Stout is great if you're a fan of darker beers.