Do You Like Saki?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daddy-O, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Back when I was a young guy, I was really into Saki. I drifted away from it over the years, but it can be good in the right mood. When I was younger, I'd sip warm Saki whilst soaking in a hot tub: man is that relaxation.

Do you enjoy the stuff? Any brands you like? How do you enjoy? Thanks!

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I don't really know what Saki is, maybe I drank it but under another name here in Romania. What is it made from? You made me curious right now. :D

3. kgord

kgord Active Member

It is a Japanese wine, which is served warm. If you go to a Japanese restaurant you can usually choose between Saki and a Plum wine. Naturally, they have Japanese beer as well. I have only had Saki a few times, but I have quite enjoyed it. It is part of the whole experience, of eating in a Japanese restaurant.

4. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I like a good sake with some sushi! I go to a great $3 a roll place near me and I always get some sake with my tempura crunch roll. Mmm now I am craving a sushi night! Thanks for the cravings!

5. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

It is a Japanese rice wine. The alternative spelling is Sake. It is normally served in a slightly warmed earthenware cup. I'd imagine it is available in Europe, but can't say for sure.

6. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I have never had saki before but have heard a lot of good things about it. I have to try it out but I haven't seen any on sale only saki for cooking purposes. Is it the same or does it taste completely different?

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I think I saw it when I went to a sushi restaurant here in Romania, I didn't order it because I didn't know what it contained. I'll make sure to check it out next time I'm there. :D

8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I have only tried Saki a handful of times and enjoyed it each time. I went to a sushi restaurant, where they served it to me in a wooden box. That was a unique experience. They explained to me that it was a more "traditional" way of serving saki.

My favorite saki that I have tried was made with strawberries. It was absolutely delicious, but too much for me to handle. They brought out a huge bottle that I was not expecting. I didn't understand that you order an entire bottle instead of just a glass on it's own.

9. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I can't say I've ever tried some made with strawberries. That does sound like a unique drink though. I'm having a hard time picturing the taste, to be honest.

10. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

I have only had sake twice and it didn't do much for me but get my drunk at my cooking class. It surprised me, too, because I hadn't really drank that much! Usually, when I go to my favorite sushi place, I drink a Japanese beer they have and skip the sake. As I stated earlier, the latest time I tried it was at a cooking class and I honestly don't think the quality of sake was really all that good. I remember my first experience trying it was a lot more pleasant than the latest attempt!

11. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

There are two different types of saki. On is used for cooking and the other for drinking, or at least that's what one of my friends told me. I thought she was pulling my leg but after reading both of your comments it looks like she was right.

12. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I have heard of people using a certain type of saki for cooking. I imagine that it's disgusting, as cooking alcohol usually is. When they served me saki in the sushi restaurant, it was definitely drinkable, but they bring you an entire bottle. Between my friend and I- we just couldn't handle it. It was the size of a wine bottle and between two people, one having to drive, it just wasn't going to happen. Honestly, it was probably my biggest regret in the alcohol department.

SirJoe likes this.