Japanese Whiskey

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by SirJoe, Mar 5, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Everyone knows the traditional whiskey producing countries but it can come as a surprise to learn that there are countries that have a long whiskey producing history but aren't so well known.
    Japan has been making whiskey since 1924, unfortunate I haven't had the chance to try some.
    Has anyone ever had Japanese whiskey?

2. kgord

kgord Active Member

No, but I think I posted on here before, I could have tried it one time. It was being offered as a sample, but sadly i didnt get to try it. It is just something that I missed n I should have gotten.

3. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I have tried some Japanese beer before. They sell it at the World Market, but I haven't found any Japanese whiskey before. That sounds like something I'd like to drink tonight!

4. artyarson

artyarson Member

Well, I didn't try yet anything from that area except for their traditional food. However, I'd be glad do discover If they produce good whiskey, too.

Those who already tried... what brands can you recommend to those who are willing?

5. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

It's a real pity, I haven't had a chance to try it yet but a friend of mine said that it's really expensive. He didn't tell me how much it costs but told me that it was very expensive.

6. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

In all these decades, no, I don't recall ever having Japanese whisky. Though I would certainly welcome giving it a spin. The only Japanese booze I drank enough to recall is Sake (can really hit the spot) and Sapporo beer (which, alas, I can no longer find locally).

7. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Member

To be perfectly honest, I've never heard of Japanese Whiskey. I mainly had Sake and the one rare bottle of beer, but Whiskey? This is news to me. And brands come to mind?

8. firewater1977

firewater1977 New Member

I have a couple bottles very good stuff ... My fav is Nikka F.T.B look it up ... Cheap start round € 30 for a .5 ltr

Just asking....

9. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

That is not too expensive for an exotic whisky. They probably don't produce to much of it so it's worth while trying it out.

10. firewater1977

firewater1977 New Member

For the quality of firewater its great. I get it when I can .

Just asking....

11. crimsonghost747

Japan is actually one of the biggest producers of whiskey in the world. Unfortunately the selection of japanese whiskeys in Europe is pretty small. We do have (apparently) good ones available but the price is pretty high so I have never bought a bottle. But one day I will. :)

12. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

That makes sense, I guess they supply the Asian market. Pity we don't get that many bottles were I live.

13. crimsonghost747

Yeah but you would imagine that a lot more of those brands would be exporting to the west. It's a big market and I know that at least in Europe people would be happy to try Japanese whiskey (or one from any other country) instead of always getting their regular one.

14. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

That is a very good point, there is a huge market in the west that would welcome something new and fresh. I think people might be surprised at first though.

15. crimsonghost747

Indeed, and I think that surprise would be in favour of the japanese producers. I know it was in my case, I saw that this particular one was made in Japan and the first thing on my mind was "I should try this out!". And I'm sure I'm not alone.

16. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I agree people are always on the lookout for new things. This would most certainly catch peoples attention.

17. Destiny

Destiny Member

I've never had Japanese whiskey bit it does sound interesting. If I had the opportunity I'd definitely give it a try.

18. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I saw a news report the other day and they said that Japan is the third biggest whiskey producing country. I still think it's a pity that we can't find it easily where I live.

19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I had one about 5 years ago, it was a mid-tier brand but it tasted pretty good. After nearly a century of whiskey making I'm sure they're doing it right!

20. Stephens

Stephens Member

Whilе it is а mаttеr оf purеly pеrsоnаl tаstе, I hаvе triеd sоmе оf thе vеry high еnd Jаpаnеsе whiskiеs. I did this аt а whiskеy bаr in Tоkyо, intrоduсing а businеss соllеаguе tо diffеrеnt typе оf Sсоtсh, Bоurbоn аnd sееing hоw thе Jаpаnеsе vеrsiоns соmpаrе.
    My соnсlusiоn wаs - fоr mоrе thаn twiсе thе priсе оf а gооd Sсоtсh а Jаpаnеsе whiskеy is nоt аs gооd.

#20 Stephens, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016