So, Does Age Matter?

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by FuZyOn, May 27, 2016.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

A pretty interesting documentary for us whisky enthusiasts. What do you think? Does age indeed matter?

2. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I think that age does matter, depending on what flavor you're going for. Liquor is going to taste different based on how long it's aged and what is used in the process of making it. I prefer having an aged liquor versus a young. I feel like aged liquor always has a much more woodsy taste.

3. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

If the objective of the drinker is just to get drunk then young liquor will do the job. Aged liquor tends to be much more complex in taste.

4. Destiny

Destiny Member

Actually. I've never noticed a bug difference in fkavor with age. I'm sure if you really enjoy the taste it matters but to me they all do the same thing and if it's drinkable... I'll drink it.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yeah, most of the times it's hardly noticeable but I did drink old whiskys that were better than any young ones I ever tasted.

6. Destiny

Destiny Member

I'm sure the older they get the better. But, I've never had really old whiskey but that's probably because I'm a cheap ass. Haha!

7. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

I'm pretty sure the older the whisky is, the strongest is the taste. I've already drank a lot of types of whisky and I can clearly say when a whisky is old.d

8. kgord

kgord Active Member

Most people seem to be in agreement that an aged whiskey is significantly better than one that is not aged. I think it picks up the taste of the barrel or something thus giving it a smoother taste.

lexinonomous likes this.
  9. lexinonomous

Good point. I could see someone saying that young liquor is just fine, if their whole objective is to get drunk. Aged liquor is something you can drink for enjoyment. It makes me appreciate what I'm drinking and lets me take my time. Young liquor is usually a drink someone wants to take straight to the head, for a fast effect on the body.

SirJoe and kgord like this.
  10. artyarson

artyarson Member

It matters but not really. The thing that I put before anything else is the production quality. It's kind of fundamental to me. Of course, 10-year old whiskey would have a better taste than one-year old. However, it doesn't mean that the latter is kind of a shitty thing If done properly. No way.

11. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

Does age matter for a mixed drink, eh, not so much. If you are drinking it neat and then I would say it matters. Mixed drinks not really because you are just using a sugary mixer anyway.

12. lexinonomous

I could see age mattering in a mixed drink, if the drink was made to order. Sugary mixtures can sometimes be delicious- so long as a bar makes them in house. I would hate to see someone put cheap and young liquor into a mixed drink that was crafted by hand. Sugary mixed premixed drinks are pretty gross to begin with, so I'd be angry if someone tried to serve me a sugared down drink with an old liquor.

13. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

If the liquor is bad, no amount of artificial sweeteners will change it's taste. I bought some cheap rum some years back and it really tasted awful. I tried to mix it with everything I could get my hands on, but it always used to end up giving the drink a bad taste. There is just some types of booze that it's better to buy the mature version, even if you are thinking of mixing it, for me at least Rum is one of them.

14. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

Age in whisky is much like age in men. Young whisky is simple, unrefined, and easier on the wallet. Old whisky is complex, more satisfying, and expects you to have an investment portfolio if it's really worth your time.

15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

That's really well put, aged whisky is more refined and gives you a satisfying feeling when you drink it. That should be a quote, haha! :p

16. kgord

kgord Active Member

I think that aging in whisky is like aging in wine. no fine wine before its time. The same could probably be said for whiskey. An aged whiskey is easier and smoother on the pallete. FyI, Lisa, lot of truth in what you say!

17. Sue

Sue Active Member

I find that the longer a whisky ages the more smooth the taste is. You can definitely tell the different so I would say that age does matter.

SirJoe likes this.
  18. explorerx7

explorerx7 Member

Yes, age is a factor in the distilling of many types of liqueur. It's not by chance that beverages like whiskey and rum a placed in wooden barrels to seek perfection in the taste and blend. Whisky would demand a longer aging process when compared to rum because whiskey is mainly produced in a cold climate which would which would require a longer period to mellow as compared to rum which requires a shorter time because of the warm climate in which it is produced.

19. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

That is certainly true and it doesn't have to be aged in a barrel it can be aged in a bottle. There are a lot of people that keep bottles of wine if they did the same with whiskey they would find that it becomes a whole lot better.

20. Norm A

Norm A Member

I don't think that my tongue is as educated as it could or should be when it comes to whisky tastes. I have always had the same whisky and I just know that it tastes good. Maybe as time goes on and I get to tasted different kinds and ages I'll develop an opinion...