The Kentucky Bourbon Cocktail Book

Discussion in 'Bourbon Forum' started by MyDigitalpoint, Jan 16, 2016.

1. MyDigitalpoint

Seeking for drink recipes that include bourbon, I came across with this site:

More about the author and the book itself can be found here, http://univpress-winserv01.gws.uky.edu/live/title_detail.php?titleid=2341#.Vpqy7PkX6dE

The book is discontinued an offered at a bargain price so, what are your thought about this?

Do you think is worth to buy? or to make a good bourbon-based cocktail a recipe is not necessary at all?

2. Destiny

Destiny Member

Well, with the internet recipe books aren't really necessary nowadays. I'm sure there's a goof blog out there on bourbon based cocktails.

3. kgord

kgord Active Member

Hmmm yes, you could simply do a web search for recipes. However, if you are a person who likes physical books it may be worth your while. I want to make a Mint Julep, which I think is a bourbon based cocktail. It is "the" drink at the Kentucky Derby.

4. MyDigitalpoint

Yes! If my memory serves me good, Mint Julep is a bourbon-based drink and, on the other hand, I have to agree with you; online information has made unnecessary the purchase of physical books.

I was avid collector of recipe books for years, but not since Internet made easier to find almost anything.

5. mandak

mandak New Member

I agree with the other comments. Recipe books aren't really needed anymore unless you are looking for something with nice photos or for a coffee table book. I'd use Google or Pinterest to look up different cocktail creations. Or, ask a good bartender (mixologist types are my favorite) for their favorite recipe.

MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  6. MyDigitalpoint

Ah yes, yes, yes!

Bartenders are great talkers and usually have great advice when it come to spirits, drinking or serving tips and, of course, recipes :)

7. kgord

kgord Active Member

The only problem with bartenders as resources is that they usually don't know how to make everything, although of course they can always look it up. Most bartenders have some kind of resource at the bar to help them make drinks..I bet they are using electronic resources these days.

8. Sue

Sue Active Member

You could buy the book if you wanted to have it on hand but I have found you can google anything you want and it will be right there. No need to purchase the book unless you really want to. My daughter is a bartender so I usually seek her advice when I am looking for a certain recipe for a certain drink or for suggestions. She is really good at it.

kgord likes this.
  9. explorerx7

explorerx7 Member

With the advent of the very informative U Tube platform, you may no longer necessarily have to get a book to learn many things. In this case, you would probably be able to get the recipie and a physical demonstration of how to make the substance.

kgord likes this.
  10. kgord

kgord Active Member

I just downloaded an app on the kindle called Mr. Bartender. It has dozens of drink recipes, and you don't have to spend time finding a video on youtube. You simply google the recipe or if you don't know the name, just look at the descriptions. The drinks are right there. Of course for a lot of them you would need a pretty well stocked bar.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

It looks quite nice but I don't think there's something in that book that you can't find online for free, but I agree that it's easier if the information is right in your face.

12. kgord

kgord Active Member

I think the only reason to have a book like that is if it brings you comfort. Otherwise the answers will be at your fingertips if you have a computer device. That is just one of the easiest ways to find things as far as I am concerned. You should use what makes you happy though.

13. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

Granted, I look up lots of drink recipes and food recipes online, but I still have some cocktail and cookbooks on-hand. There's just something about someone with a bookcase full of interesting things, especially books that I consider conversation pieces, that intrigues me. So, I suggest, buy the book! Particularly since you said the book is out of print, I would purchase it because you'll likely be the only person you know that has it! Then, the next time all the lights go out or the internet goes down, you can light a candle and still figure out how to make a perfectly great Bourbon cocktail while the rest of us wait for our modems to reboot.

14. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

Mint Julep is my summer jam! I can't wait for this 4th's celebrations! I will be serving some Mint Julep's and some Moscow Mules at my party. We were thinking of throwing a few pitchers of Sangria together too.

15. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I am curious as to all of the things that I could do with this one. Maybe it would be dangerous for me, but it would be fun at first I suppose.

16. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I think its nice to go grab a cool book of bourbon-cocktails off the shelf with some great design and artwork-and these books give you a sense of place as well. Some of us grew up back in the day when we bought physical books-so if you like the looks of this cocktail book,you should buy it for a good price. You should look this book up on Amazon though and see if you can find a good used copy for a cheap price?

#16 FolkArtist, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  17. xyrene

xyrene Member

I agree, cookbooks and books in general aren't really needed these days due to the fact that everything is found online now. However, I'm pretty sure that a "book person" would appreciate that info.

18. jakub1

jakub1 Member

some people still use them

19. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I can imagine having quite the time going through this thing and trying to find the right one, but that is the whole point I assume. I might find some new tasty drinks too.

20. walter12

walter12 Member

But not to a very extent.