What Is Your Opinion On Mixing Beer And Soft Drinks?

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by onliner, Feb 27, 2017.

1. onliner

onliner New Member

Though not an avid drinker, I always find solace to grab a bottle once in a while. Feels good, doesn't it? I mean, what can beat that feeling of beer in your veins at the end of a busy day or week?

While at most of my beer sessions, I notice on several occasions some peeps adding a bit of soda into their beers. I always wonder is it really a good practice? And how does such a beer taste?

2. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Maybe it's different in different areas, but I've never observed this. I was a bartender for years, and have visited more than a few bars, and I've never heard of it. Interesting.

Personally, I don't think I'd enjoy it. I prefer to drink beer that I like to taste. No need to add anything to it.

3. tony

tony Active Member

It's likened to mixing two different chemicals together. I am not sure that would be healthy enough for the body. In my view mixing beer with another beer or soft drink may cause reactions which may not be okay with the body. I think sticking to one form of beer at a time is healthier.

4. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I never would have even thought of the healthiness (or not) of this concoction. I don't necessarily regard beer as a "healthy" drink in the first place. :) I just drink it because I like it.

I don't think it would taste good with soda pop mixed into it, but to each his own.

5. tony

tony Active Member

In my opinion there are sure going to be a reaction starting right from the table before the whole content is taking in. This method of taking beer may be a big risk factor to developing diabetes.

6. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I would have to say no to this one, and I cannot even think of one combination that even might be good. They are good just on their own, no need to mix.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Depends on the beer, but I always drink regular beer without any added drinks, it just ruins the taste for me. Maybe those "peeps" don't like the beer taste and need to add something sweet to it.

8. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Well, duh, I didn't put enough thought into this. I was just thinking that I had never heard anyone ask for such a mixture when I waited on them.

Shandy is basically what you described. Beer mixed with different soda flavors or with something like lemonade. A shandy can be refreshing, especially on a hot day.

I wonder what kind of soda people ask for in their beer when they have it mixed on the spot. What's your favorite, @onliner ?

9. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

Beer with soda..
    This is the first time I' m hearing something like this. I really doubt if this is prevalent anywhere in my country.

People prefer to drink beer the way it is either directly from a can / bottle or after pouring it in a beer mug. I have seen some adding lemon so as to improve the taste but adding soda is something that sounds out of this world.

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

Yes the average shandy in the traditional way is beer mixed with some kind of citrus soda or lemonade. Also try some pale ale as well with some lemonade or limeade and this kind of offsets the bitterness of the hops. You could maybe try mixing some watermelon soda with beer as well?

11. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I recently saw a watermelon IPA. I think it was new. Actually, double IPA and it's from Ballast Point. I noticed it because my husband loves watermelon. I'm just not so sure he'd want it in his beer.

I imagine this will go over well for summer though. It sounds like it would be refreshing on a hot day.

FolkArtist likes this.
  12. derf

derf New Member

It is very strange although I know a couple of people who do it that say it is very good. It depends on both the alcohol and the soft drink in order for it to taste good. Also has to mix well together in order to give a very good taste.

13. xyrene

xyrene Member

Well obviously it would taste sweet and bitter at the same time, although if your pour too little soda it won't really have any effect on the taste. I tried mixing Sprite with Absolut vodka once and it still tasted bitter. I guess it must be evenly split for it to taste sweet.

14. Zero

Zero Member

Even though i haven't done it, but there are a few combinations that mix very well and make up an interesting drink.

15. kgord

kgord Active Member

I have not heard of this before, but I doubt it would be bad. One combo I have heard of more than once is mixing beer with tomato juice so I would like to try that one. I will one of these days when I remember to buy tomato juice!

16. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Sounds like a recipe for a sorry stomach, at least for me. I do not care much for soft drinks though, but I have had my fair share of mixed drinks, but not beer.

17. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

I already mixed beers and soft drinks sometimes and the results have always been pretty bad. :( Nowadays I don't do this anymore and don't advise anyone else to do either. ;)

18. Zero

Zero Member

Perhaps your combinations were off and it didn't mix well, i would recommend to search online for a few tips.

19. clair02

clair02 Member

I heard that combination is great for pregnant women. I think it was called a 'Malawi Shanty' or something... Apparently, adding sprite to the beer kills the alcohol in the beer and it becomes a harmless but great tasting drink. (But then again, pregnant women crave all sorts of weird tasting things, so it might not be such a great-tasting drink after all...)

20. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

I think I was traumatized because the experiences were pretty bad. Maybe I'll try again someday, but not for now (I'd rather drink it all apart... just for guarantee :D).